We are interested in:
The Abel group at the IOM (Chemical Department) and at the University of Leipzig is engaged in research in the field of molecular physical chemistry, biophysical chemistry, material science, analytical chemistry, optics, and spectroscopic imaging in relation to surfaces and surface modification.
The mission of the IOM is to investigate interactions of radiation and particles with matter, the modification and functionalization of surfaces and the transfer of the knowledge into practice. The Chemical Department specialized in (multi) functional soft matter surfaces, interfaces and coatings and the control of function.
Our activities have the purpose of obtaining fundamental knowledge of matter and materials (from smaller molecules up to polymers and macroscopic materials), to develop new molecular and analytical probes, new interface materials, and finally to use the knowledge to develop advanced analytical techniques, smart materials and material coatings, and ultimately devices and high-tech material surfaces (soft matter, adaptive, smart, switchable, responsive, etc.) for industry and industrial applications.
- fundamental interactions of electrons with matter/surfaces
- fundamental interactions of photons with matter/surfaces
- nanoscale photonics and nanoscale imaging
- new high-end analytical tools and their applications
- process control in industry
- high-tech coatings and functional layers
- non-thermal atomic layer deposition
- smart and switchable surfaces/layers
- biofunctional surfaces
- functionalized nano particles
- functionalization of membranes
- functional energy conversion materials and fuel cells
- new carbon based materials
- complex matter and dynamics
- theory of complex systems (quantum chemistry, large scale molecular dynamics calculations)
- microfluidic devices